Friday, March 7, 2008

My Point of View

Caleb King
Mrs. McCauliff
Women’s Studies
March 7, 2008
Interview Blog Post

Feminism is defined as the movement committed to securing and defending rights and opportunities for women that are equal to those of men. This movement began its starts by protesting for rights pertaining to women’s suffrage, job opportunities and gender equality. In today’s society, the rights women now fight for are much more relevant to our time. These women rights issues affect women of all ages, even those in future generations to come. However a lot of credit is due to the women who fought in the mid-1900s. Those who paved the road for the women who protest today, so that they may rest upon the rights they once earned in their name.

Whether or not women allow the feminist movement to have an influence in their lives, inevitably it will occur inevitably. In the interview I performed I interviewed an eighteen year old, African-American woman and got her perspective on feminism and how it has impacted her life. Pursuing an education, and soon to practice her right to vote in this year’s upcoming general election, Brittany Gray is living the life of the average female in the United States. Personally, she does not consider herself a feminist and expressed that she thought, “…the word “feminist” is a bit out-dated. I believe that term is for the women who fought for those rights that we now have in the movement. I do believe in equal opportunity for both women and men and that the gender inequalities should be abolished, but until I physically show and bring change to the forefront, I will continue to fulfill the hopes of the women who came before me.” Though unsure of her future plans, she hopes that her success will amount to something memorable and contribute to society’s troubled areas. Maybe then her view will change once she has done something positive and on the level of what was accomplished by women such as Betty Friedan.

Betty Friedan wrote one of the most influential books of the twentieth century called the “Feminine Mystique.” This work of literature dared to question the norm and order of things that occurred in every day life. Most prevalent among post-World War II middle-class suburban communities, Friedan suggested that men returned to their wives for nurturing. When there role was more so less focused on the household, men did not know what to think. As I asked Brittany what she remembered about the book, she recalled that they had briefly discussed this in her AP U.S. History class in high school:
Women were victims of a belief system that required them to find identity and meaning in their lives through starting a family that was based around a husband and children. Such a system caused women to completely lose their identity and settle for the household work that was below their personal ambitions and abilities. These led to the notion that the men were the “head” of household and have the bigger, more important responsibilities to handle. Clearly, times have changed. With the overwhelming progress in technology, many tasks that once were done physically by hand are now performed by machinery. So women have a lot more time to attend school, actually get an education and become big-time competitors in the working world.

This is now very reminiscent of what we are exposed to everyday. Women heavily populate a majority of all career fields that were once male-dominated and full of occupational stereotypes. Stereotypes such as, men work harder then women do, Males are smarter than all women, and women will never do what a man can do. This progression in the working world is and has abolished the notion that women are only useful in child-rearing and taking care of the household.

As a child, Brittany looked up to her mother, a single-parent supporting three daughters after her father was forced to leave due to an alcohol and drug addiction. Her mother was determined to not be another statistic and made it her mission to do everything in her will to get through the hard times. Brittany stated that, “In no way is my situation more difficult than anyone else because there are worse things out there, but this is just my personal experience and I have much respect for any woman who can put three children, or even just one, through school by themselves. This is something that would have been unheard of if it occurred fifty years ago.” And a true statement that is. Fifty years ago women were not making as much as they are today, were not given the opportunity they are today as far as education and employment are concerned.

Women’s have came a long way from where they was years ago. From hard work and resilience they are where they need to be. Women are dependable in a men job. Such jobs include; principal, cop, manager, firemen or a fire women! Women go through hardship just as men do. Example would be Brittany’s mom and how she did not give up. She worked many jobs to get her kids through college to make a better life for her and her family.





















Interview Questions:

n Do you consider yourself a feminist? “No I don’t really get involve with it.”

n What is your definition of a feminist? “A committed and defending rights and opportunities for women that is equal to those of men.”

n Do you have any knowledge of the Feminine Mystique? “Yes I do.”

n What do you remember about the book? “That is was a powerful book.”

n Do you remember some of the changing notions about feminism that were once the norm then but are now no longer the norm? “No I don’t.”

n Are they playing a key role in shaping the feminist agenda today? “I really think that’s its not strong right now how it was in the past.”

n What hardships have you gone through that have shaped and contributed to your life’s philosophies? “I been through hardship with money in my household.”






Contact Information:

Brittany N. Gray
Athens, GA
706-399-1010
































Blog Interview





Honestly, I do not consider myself a feminist. I think the word “feminist” is a bit out-dated. I believe that term is for the women who fought for those rights that we now have in the movement. I do believe in equal opportunity for both women and men and that the gender inequalities should be abolished but until I physically show and bring change to the forefront I will continue to fulfill the hopes of the women who came before me.

Do you remember the Feminine Mystique? Do you remember some of the changing notions about feminism? Are they playing a key role in shaping the feminist agenda today?

“I do remember the “Feminine Mystique” written in the 60s I believe, by a woman named Betty Friedan. She explained that women were victims of a belief system that required them to find identity and meaning in their lives through starting a family that is based around a husband and children. Such a system caused women to completely lose their identity and settle for the household work that is beyond their personal ambitions and abilities. This led to the notion that the men are the “head” of household and have the bigger, more important responsibilities to handle. Clearly, times have changed. With the overwhelming progress in technology, many tasks that once were done physically by hand are now performed by machinery. So women have a lot more time to attend school, actually get an education and become big-time competitors in the working world. Women have found their way into most occupations that at one time were male-dominated. All we want is to be on an “equal-footing” with men, there should not be the ever-lying double standard.

It is time for change and a new system that no longer limits women's possibilities. Feminists today pay close attention to personal growth and individual achievement. Other larger concerns are no longer talked about but still oppress the lives of many unfortunate women. Most women want a particular kind of activism one that serves their personal, individual needs such as abortion reform, childcare or lesbian marriage. They do not see a need to think about other communities of women or to work for needs other than those of their own group. The issue concerning how women are portrayed in society and in the media as totally changed the perspective of some men and is now used as a source that they use to base their level of respect that they show. This is becoming the new “standard” in America but it lacks the influence of real women.”

What hardships have you gone through that have shaped and contributed to your life’s philosophies?

“I truly believe in the strength and determination of a woman. I know that a woman is just as able as a man to be the “head” of household. It has not always been the norm for us all but for some a single mother is the norm in many communities around the U.S. She is someone that has to provide for and take care of her children without the help of a man or another parental figure. It is something that I can closely relate to since my mother became sole-provider for my two sisters and I when I was five years old. My father decided his alcohol and drug addiction were more important at that time in his life than supporting his family. In addition, my mother did not want us to be exposed to that behavior and the burden of his fraudulent spending, so he had to leave. So as a registered nurse, my mother has provided for my sisters and me for over 13 years on her own. I am now eighteen and looking back on those days, I cannot remember a day that I ever went without something that I needed. My mother’s main purpose is to make sure I am always taken care of because without her, I would have absolutely nothing. In no way is my situation more difficult than anyone else because there are worst things out there, but this is just my personal experience and I have much respect for any woman who can put three children, or even just one, through school by themselves. This is something that would have been unheard of if it occurred fifty years ago.

My experience as a child and growing up with only the support of one parent has shaped my life in just being more independent and not ever having to depend on anyone else when I am in need. That way I can always be prepared and support myself as I began to work and live on my own.”

No comments: